Humane Society of Harford County Has Dogs of Every Type, Size, Age & Personality Waiting for You This October
For Immediate Release
Contact: Mary Leavens
Humane Society of Harford County
Fallston, MD (September 13, 2011) – In celebration of National Adopt‐A‐Shelter-Dog Month this October, the Humane Society of Harford County (HSHC) is asking prospective pet owners the question: What can an adopted dog bring to your life?
“There are as many responses to that question as there are dogs in this world,” said Mary Leavens, executive director. “Whether you want an exercise buddy, a best friend for your child, a partner in agility competitions, a constant companion for an aging parent or simply a fuzzy face to greet you after a hard day at work, an adopted dog can be all of these — and more.”
National Adopt‐A‐Shelter-Dog Month is the perfect time to visit the shelter and meet all the wonderful dogs waiting for loving homes. To encourage dog adoption, HSHC is offering prospective pet owners a free microchip and a free toy with every dog adopted from the shelter during the month of October. “It’s especially important to remember shelter dogs this year, when the lingering recession has put many shelters in a bad position, with pet relinquishment up and adoptions and donations down,” said Leavens.
If you know someone who is planning to get a dog but hasn’t decided to adopt, please share this list of 5 Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Dog with them.
- You WILL make a difference. By adopting from HSHC or a breed-specific rescue group, you’ll help save the lives of two animals—the pet you adopt and a homeless animal somewhere who can be rescued because of space you helped free up.
- You will find your perfect match. HSHC is brimming with happy, healthy animals just waiting for someone to take them home. It is a common misconception that animals end up in shelters because they’ve been abused or done something “wrong”. In fact, most animals are given to shelters because of “people reasons,” not because of anything they’ve done. Things like a divorce, a move, lack of time or financial constraints are among the most common reasons why pets lose their homes.
- You’ll save time and money. HSHC’s adoption fees include vaccinations, spay or neuter surgery, de-wormer, a general health exam, flea & tick preventative, and a free bag of starter food. If you were to pay for those services yourself, you’d spend much more.
- You will receive unconditional love. Ask anyone who’s adopted: rescued dogs just seem to know you saved them (especially older dogs), and they repay that act of kindness a thousand times over. How many times have we heard someone say their shelter pet in fact rescued them?
- You will not be supporting cruelty. Each dog adopted rather than purchased means less of a market for unhealthy, inbred puppies produced under cruel conditions in puppy mill operations throughout the country.
To share your own adoption story, email Kim Aumiller at email@example.com. Please include your name and a recent photo of your pet.
To learn more about adopting a pet from HSHC, visit www.harfordshelter.org. HSHC has dogs of every type, size, age and personality waiting for wonderful homes like yours. HSHC is open Monday – Friday from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; and Sunday from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. Visit us this October to find out what a shelter dog can bring to your life during National Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month!
About the Humane Society of Harford County
The Humane Society of Harford County, Inc., is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to the welfare and well-being of the approximately 4,500 animals that come to us each year. We promote the kind treatment of homeless, stray and abandoned animals by providing shelter, care, adoptions, and community education. We are not a county agency nor are we affiliated with any national or regional organization. Your tax-deductible donations, bequests, and proceeds from events are crucial to our life-saving efforts on behalf of the animals of our community.