The Humane Society of Harford County is pleased to offer our Canine College classes through Mutt Magic Training Services. Eight-week group classes are offered right here at the shelter and include:
- Basic/CGC Prep: Start with the basics and end with a Canine Good Citizen! On graduation day, your dog can take the AKC Canine Good Citizen test to have your dog certified at the end of the course!
- Confidence Course: This course has been designed for the shy or fearful dog.
- S.T.A.R. Puppy Course: Start your puppy off on the right paw! Each session is half obedience and half puppy socialization.
- All classes run for eight weeks.
- Unless otherwise advertised, all classes are $150, with a $25 discount for all pets adopted from HSHC.
- First classes are for people only. Please plan on attending your first class without your pet.
- When Harford County Schools close for inclement weather, classes are cancelled.
Mutt Magic has two trainers experienced to help you through your obedience, as well as any problem solving needs.
Aja Brown is Mutt Magic’s head trainer/behaviorist. Aja has a background in working canines and has successfully competed on a national level with her own dogs. She is certified through Animal Behavior College, is a Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, is canine CPR certified and a member of the International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP). Additionally, she is an appointed member of Baltimore City’s Animal Hearing Panel. Aja volunteers on the board of directors for a national working dog organization, and also volunteers services to local shelters and rescues. She enjoys working with dogs of all breeds and sizes and seeing owners develop lasting relationships with their dogs!
Jill LaPorta is an obedience instructor and CGC Evaluator. She has been part of the Mutt Magic team since 2013. She is also an Animal Behavior College graduate! With over five years experience, she brings current and past volunteer knowledge from working with veterinarians and rescues. She also handles dogs at a local kennel. Jill currently teaches group classes and private lessons in Harford County, and also manages free behavioral consults at the Humane Society of Harford County.
PET CARE 101 / BEHAVIORAL CONSULTATION
Mutt Magic Training Services offers FREE behavioral consultations at the Humane Society of Harford County on the second and fourth Saturday of each month, excluding holidays. These consults are held between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. and you must have an appointment. Simply contact Mutt Magic to reserve your spot. These consultations are great for basic problem solving such as: housebreaking, house manners, digging, chewing, introducing a new addition, dog socialization, and more.
This is not a suitable session for major aggression concerns. For severe dog or human aggression, please schedule an in-home lesson by contacting Aja Brown at 410.889.9352 or email@example.com.
Check out these informative videos by Aja Brown of Mutt Magic Training Services:
- Choosing training equipment
- Teaching the “sit” command
- Ebony learns the “down” command
- Valiant learns the obedience “place” command
- Cane is taught the “touch” command