The Humane Society of Harford County offers yoga classes here at the shelter and you are invited. Namaste! Studies show that yoga can improve your balance, your breathing, your sense of self and your overall health. It can reduce anxiety and fight off depression. It strengthens your core and can help ease chronic pain.
Below are the different class types being offered and a brief biography of your instructors. To sign up for a single cat yoga class or a 6-week series of adults-only classes, click here.
ADULT CLASS led by Alisa
Learn to relax your body and mind with exercises that improve flexibility, strength and coordination. Emphasizes proper breathing and body alignment. Work at your own pace in this noncompetitive discipline.
• The Adults class is geared toward anyone age 18 and over and is held at the shelter on Sunday mornings between 10-11am.
• The 6-week class series is $60.
• Please bring your own yoga mat, at least one yoga block (2 are preferred), yoga strap, and a blanket to use during Savasana (optional).
CAT YOGA led by Alisa & Bridget
Practice yoga right next to cats who are up for adoption at the shelter! Due to popularity, you must pre-register to guarantee your spot in this class.
• This class is for adults who are at least 16 years old and is held at the shelter on the 4th Saturday of every month from 3:30-4:30pm for $12 each.
• Participants will be asked to bring an item from our special cat wish list.
• After the class, participants can stay to make a craft for our cats.
ABOUT YOUR INSTRUCTORS
Alisa Gellman, RYT 200
Alisa has been a mental health therapist for over 10 years. She began practicing yoga several years ago after she went to a Yoga training to learn the benefits of Yoga and mindfulness in therapy. At that moment Alisa realized, not only will Yoga be beneficial for the families she works with, but also for herself. Alisa attended Anne Arundel Community College where she received her 200 hour certification and Professional Certificate through Yoga 4 Life. Alisa brings pranayama (breath work), meditation and sometimes even chanting into her classes. Alisa also has a 30-hour certificate through Radiant Child and 20-hour certificate through YoKid.
Bridget Strama, RYT 200
Bridget taught public school for 20 years, using the techniques of yoga to help calm and focus her students. After completing 200 hour training with Radiant Child, Shakta Khalsa and YoKid, she is dedicated to making yoga accessible to all people. She currently teaches classes for people from birth to age 99.